Tuesday 6 September 2011

The Operation

Just thought I would break the silence briefly to let you know how the operation went.
After a sleepless night of worry dreams about it being changed, or I was late or something, I had to get up at 6am. This meant that I could have a drink of water before the cut of 6.30. Unfortunately I dont like water, so I had a fruit tea thinking that it would just be flavoured water.
When we got to the hospital it turned out that I would go in first. This made me very happy. I got into my gown, had all my checks (I dont know how the computer came up with my age as being 15 from a birthdate of 1991) and got my allergy bands on my wrist and ancle. The anaesthetist then came in to talk about the general anaesthetic. Turned out that that the fruit tea was a MASSIVE mistake. He got all worried that it had stimulated me in some way and so I got bumped down to 3rd on the list.
Seriously, fruit tea?? Its not like I had had a massive meal and coffee on top. Jeez.
Anyway, I went into theatre at about 10.30. It was a little bit intimidating as I walked in as there was about 7 people just standing there. I got onto the bed and made myself comfortable and tried to relax. It didn't really work. The anaesthetist came over and started hitting the back of my hand to find an appropriate vein. He then rubbed something over the back of my hand that I just presumed was a special anaesthetic because I am allergic to the normal cream they use. Turned out to be an anti-bac, and he just shoved the needle into my hand. It hurt so much. He then continued to pump chemicals into my body that sent shooting pains from my had al the way up my arm. He claimed that one of them was to make me relax. Bull shit. I have never felt more panicked in all my life.
Just before I went under I had tears rolling from my eyes. Sounds really pathetic, but I was scared of not waking up. They said they would look after me... Not really any comfort. He started to inject it. I felt it go up my arm. It was cold and then I started to taste it in my mouth and I was out 2 seconds later.
I came round at about 11.30. Only semi-conscious so I cant remember all that happened for the 3/4 of an hour after I woke up. I do remember waking up with a really itchy nose again, and this time I was allowed to take my oxygen mask of to itch it. The nurse I had looking after me was called Amy, and she was lovely. She asked me if I hurt, and I said only my hand did, which was odd. We then had the same conversations over and over again as I kept forgetting.
The surgen came over about 10 mins after I came round. She told me that the tag wasn't there to be removed. It had gone. She had a good look and couldn't find it. She then said that she checked the whole thing for any sign of why I was bleeding. But there was nothing. I cried. I was just so happy that my body isn't completely abnormal. She then went onto explain why I may bleed sometimes, which is all a little hazy, but I think that I get the general gist.
The rest of the day I was completely out of it and just looked very ill.
I didn't sleep well last night for no reason, and because I was so dehydrated I fell down the stairs this morning.
I'm not totally all there today. Still feel dizzy and generally look like shit. But only another 24 hours of being medically celibate. Who knows how long actually celibacy is going to last.

No comments:

Post a Comment