Thursday 1 December 2011

That Time Of Year

Today is 1st of December. I love this date. Its the beginning of a really magical time of year for me.
I love the build up to Christmas, but not the day itself. The 25th is always filled with stress, bitter disappointment and, just generally, its a massive anticlimax.
The days before are always so happy. People hustling and bustling around, trying to make peoples dreams come true. Putting up decorations and the general feeling of warmth, comfort and love fills the air.
I love shopping in the dark, all wrapped up with the only lights coming from the shop windows and the christmas lights put up around the towns.
What really makes Christmas special is making mince pies and sausage rolls with my Ma. It is something that we do together every year. It one of those moments I long for for most of the year.
Unfortunately, this year is a little different as I have a lot of uni work to complete before I head back down south on the 17th. So at the moment, I am a little bit stressed, but that will only last for another week or so and I will be able to focus on the 'Christmas spirit'!
I also don't have a lot of money this year. I have only bought one present so far, and I intend to make the rest and really utilise my baking skills!
I think that New Years is also sorted, and that it will be as good as last year: beautiful simplicity.
I think that the reason why I love 'the season' so much is that it is celebrated all over the world, everyone having a good time, and getting stressed together. A sense of unity across the planet, where friends and families come together and share the celebrations.
Dont get me wrong though, I think that Christmas should only be celebrated in the month of December and NOT start in September.
I know that this post is erratic and a bit sad, but I am excited and craving to get my work done so I can really relish in the jolliness.
Its a happy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment